Any of you familiar with the Pokémon 3Ds games knows that there are lots and lots of berries, all with different effects on the Pokémon. The recent Valentine’s Day update has added code that looks like we will be getting new berries soon. These berries will likely be on a system similar to the Buddy System. Each of these berries will be able to be “grown” or have certain percentage growth rate before you can “pick them” – think of walking around to hatch an egg.
Here are the new berries, plus the Razz berry which we already have, that were found in the game code and what they will do.
1. Razz Berry: The berry we already have in the game multiplies the capture chance for any given Pokemon.
2. Bluk Berry: This new berry is one of several that’s appeared in the game code before, but is only now nearly ready to be released. Bluk Berry seems to change the “movement” of the Pokemon encountered, rendering it unable to knock Pokeballs away from a toss.
3. Nanab Berry: Similar to Bluk Berry, this Nanab Berry stops the Pokemon from initiating its “Attack” animation. This has basically the same effect as the previous berry – though both together are likely most effective in stopping a Pokemon from moving almost entirely.
4. Pinap Berry: Similar to the previous two berries on this list, the Pinap Berry will “slow” the target Pokemon down. This likely means that the Pokemon will be far less likely to run away. Think about the Abra, and think about how the Abra always runs away.
5. Wepar Berry: This berry likely opens up the capture circle of the target Pokemon to the largest size it can be. This doesn’t necessarily make the Pokemon easier to hit, but does increase the possibility that a hit ball will be an Excellent Throw.
Generation 2 is right around the corner, I honestly believe it will launch within the next four months – but that’s just my speculation. Niantic keeps adding new things to the code, which they always do. Thing is, most of this stuff is ready to deploy right now, all it would take is one more update and we could see a lot of these things hit the game immediately.